My GitHub repo is called panda3d-game, because I’d originally intended to use Panda3D as the game engine due to wanting to get to know it better for another project. But I decided to not attempt full isometric right off the bat and rather do top down. Panda3D is a 3D engine, and doing 2D stuff with it was sort of painful.
After fiddling with Panda3D, I decided to try out FIFE, but I couldn’t even get the examples running. I set myself a time budget of 90 minutes to get it working, and after I hadn’t, I decided to move on. Which is a shame, because it looks like it’d do basically everything I’d like it to be doing, and more.
In the past, I’ve looked at using Kivy/Kivent to do similar things, but it was a nightmare to get working properly, and after FIFE, I decided I didn’t want to sink more time into it. So I tried out the next choice, cocos2d. I was able to get examples running within minutes, so I decided to dive in further and see what I could come up with.
Within about three hours, I had some hexes displaying. I can’t scroll the view, and they have some alignment issues, but it’s certainly more progress than I made trying to bludgeon Panda3D into doing what I wanted. We’ll see if this ends up being the right choice.